Air Abrasion at Hudson Valley Dental Arts
Similar to a tiny sand-blaster, air abrasion can replace the traditional drill, giving patients less discomfort. It is a great option for pediatric cases, where a filling can be completed in less than two minutes! When appropriate, this latest technology makes your dental visit at Hudson Valley Dental Arts very comfortable—no drilling, no water build-up, and no need for injections. Patients from Poughquag, NY and surrounding areas are encouraged to contact our Poughkeepsie office today and schedule an appointment!
Dr. Larry Hamburg believes that air abrasion has revolutionized dentistry for a number of reasons:
- Air abrasion is capable of painless and atraumatic care.
- No anesthesia = no injection = no "fat lip" after the appointment.
- No vibration, no hideous sound, no smell, and no water spray are necessary.
- The preparations are small and conservative.
- Tooth structure is better protected.
- Cavity profiles are structurally sounder when compared with a traditional drill.
- There’s no microfracturing of the enamel surface due to the conventional vibration associated with the traditional drill.
- The small size means less likelihood of cusp fracture and subsequent endodontic (root canal) or fixed prosthetics (crowns/bridges) treatment.
- The area can be restored with bonded composites, which enhance the structural integrity of the tooth.